Sunday 20 May 2012

The Tower preview

I finished the first page of my first true comic book last night. I just wanted to give a taste of what this will be like so I am showing this page, and for the rest you will have to wait until it's finished! I felt kind of uninspired recently. It's because I have at least three big projects to work on, and I constantly want to dive in and do huge productions with them. That's all well and good, but if the story isn't prepared enough before you start doing big things like comics or animations, you will run into problems.

To combat this block I decided I would just write up the stories behind the main projects. In the meantime I would work on much smaller, simpler stories for practising my technical skills. Honing them before I can give the bigger projects true justice. So that's where this idea came from. Of course, it doesn't always work out that way and I found myself spending hours thinking about character and set designs for this comic.

Also, I realised that I usually make these projects set in the real universe. No matter how bizarre or extreme they may be, there is a hint of realism. Not so for this project. I decided to let all that go. This will be a no-holds-barred experience of surreal whimsy, largely inspired by the work of Mateusz Skutnik and also some of the short films by Jan Svankmajer. I really hope you like where this is going!

As you can see, I've been honing my watercolours. I'm very happy with them so far. Definitely my kind of thing. Let me know what you think! Maybe one day you'll see this sort of thing by me in nice fancy books in the shops!

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment